Search This Blog

Saturday, January 09, 2010

Love Never Fails

So the first time I loved and lost was with my high school sweetheart.  We started dating when I was 17 and she was 15.  Our relationship was amazing to me.  I don't remember ever getting into a truly heated argument with her and we dated for about 4 years.  Two of those years together here and two long distance.

I still wonder if her father took the job in Omaha at least partially to get her away from me (if you haven't guessed, he never liked me and he never hid that fact from me).  They were moving shortly after she graduated from high school and we decided not to attempt a long distance relationship for the same reasons that it ended up failing.  She lived in Omaha for about a year and then they moved again to the San Diego area.

Over those last two years we only saw each other 3 times.  Once when I went to visit her in Omaha and twice when she came here to visit.  I was so stupid, why didn't I take the time to put more effort into keeping that relationship going?  What ended up killing us was my busy schedule and lack of contact with her.  Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose.

Anyways, around the same time my relationship with her was ending, I was having an affair with my best friend's ex-girlfriend.  Sounds bad and it certainly changed my life, but that's a story for another time.

Let's just say I ended up falling in love with her even though she was dating another guy (not my best friend).  Of course while she was dating him, she was fooling around with me.  But I was stupid once again.  I could've had her if I only would've asked her to leave him and be with me, but I never did.  I think mostly because I was holding onto the hope of getting back with my first love.  She is still in my life to some extent, my friend on facebook and we talk every so often.  One of the hardest things I've ever had to do was go to her wedding.  The whole time I wanted to stop it and tell her she was making a mistake.  Apparently I wouldn't have been too far off-base as she has recently found out that he is cheating on her.

So no, I don't believe that you have one "soul-mate" or only one shot at true love.  But I will admit that it's never the same.  Each time I've been in love has been very different than the others.

Stay tuned.. Love the Third coming soon...

No comments: